Thursday, September 9, 2010

Taking Charge Of Your Fertility....where have you been all my life?

As I stated in my prior post, I was recently introduced to a book titled Taking Charge Of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. Let me just start by saying that this is the MOST informative and essential book I have read to date on the female reproductive system. I literally couldn't put it down! Where the heck has this book been my entire menstruating and reproductive life? Really? And you thought you had sex ed in school...hah! That's a stinkin' joke if you ask me...but you didn't, did you? Whatever schools are teaching kids in sex ed today, you can bet is not as detailed as this book. I have decided (and we don't have kids yet) that I'm keeping this book as a tool to teach my children (especially my daughters) about how their own body's work and definately how baby-making happens. There are numerous myths out there about when you can get pregnant and what a "normal" menstrual cycle is supposed to be. I had lots of unanswered questions and thoughts about my own body and I'm 32! Health class never explained it and neither did most of our moms. And it's not because they didn't want to. It's probably because they didn't have the means to educate us because their parents (or the school board) didn't equip them with such knowledge. Essentially, the whole book is based on the Fertility Awareness Method. Now, before you get your panties in a wad, let me start by saying it is NOT the Rythm Method. You chart your basal body temperature, track your cervical fluid and cervical position each month to determine your most fertile/infertile days. I also learned that through using FAM, a spike of basal body temperature for 18 consecutive days after ovulation is a very high indication of pregnancy. Now, what's interesting is if you weren't tracking your BBT you probably wouldn't have noticed those 18 days of a spiked temp. If you started your period after those 18 days, you would probably think your period was just late...when in fact it could have been a miscarriage. This is great info to have if you continuously have "late" periods. FAM can either be used for avoiding pregnancy, trying to conceive, or simply for your own gynecological health. It's amazing that all of this "unexplained" stuff that has been going on in my body for the past 20 years actually has a reason and a purpose and it has a name. Hah! I'm not crazy after all! Woot! I feel so empowered!

No comments:

Post a Comment